Saturday, January 10, 2009

Help help!! ...there is no "help"

You know what can be a horrible nightmare come true for everyone in India? No housemaids!! Oh yes!! All ye out there, I can see so many of you nodding your heads in right earnest. And I am spat in the middle of it right now. The last thing I wanted was a call as early as 7 AM..thats very in the middle of the night for me.. and I knew exactly who it was..my help of course who I thought has called to take a day off… but to unceremoniously dump me?? It was Déjà vu all over again..what for the 3rd time in 9 months. It took me a splash of ice water to settle down the frustration, the anger and the sheer helplessness of having to stare at a day with unclean dishes, cloths, floors, cooking and the rest of the paraphernalia. That’s not the end of it my dears, its with me having to do all this while having to look after, bounce after, run after a toddler all of 15 months. Oh I love being with my sunny, and that’s why it mattered that I had a help..now with none of that and having to play house-house quite literally with a kiddo who can hang on to your leg as if for an advertisement on super glue..its gonna be a rough ride. And to stare at more days then one with the same zeal as looking forward to a cardiac arrest..i can only take so much. But then what choice does one have when all the adventure of housework stares right at your freshly scrubbed face? Well..enter at your own risk. And I did..for the last 5 days its been a pleasure to feel the clean smooth surface of vessel scrubbed into a gleaming silver by my own little two hands has been nothing less then a feeling of exhilaration. I may not even think of wanting a help. I am not being sarcastic here...I just cant seem to understand how I can stand to enjoy it all. And the light at the end of the tunnel comes from all my friends who will vouch for the fact that given some time.. I will not. Oh! Thank god!!!

But even more perplexing has been the fact that all the domestic helps seem to have just disappeared from the face of the earth.. I mean I am happy for them if in all this course of time they have been able to afford to get maids of their own, I mean look at the kind of wages they take from poor us..its day light robbery..but later on that…. Yes,i just don’t seem to getting a decent person to come to my place and help me let go of that darn wok. And the 2 that did come ..hey did you know we actually have super women.. I mean, they came, they saw and before I could say.. “amma…there over there..the swirling roll of hair”…she was out! Abracadabra!! Vanishing act! Whatever…but it’s the fastest in history ever! And so here I am thankful to them only for the reason that they have given me a blog thought, sitting and preening over my neighbors shoulder and wondering if her maid will glance at my poor unhealthy red blood shot eyes and drooping shoulders holding on to sunny who looks like a tornado in motion.. and in a rare case of gesture…sweep and swap my floors for me..and the dishes and the cloths and dusting and if she is still kind enough, to roll the chapathi atta for me? Am I asking for a lot?

3 comments:

  1. Hee haaaaa WOWWeeee Sis ...CAN U WRITE!!!

    Was the first time i bothered to read a BLOG or watever that was...Didnt know it was more of an insight to peoples thoughts..

    Onto the subject...WOW ...we all lived our lives dependant on "HELP" . And who better than us to have experienced the DOWNSIDE of it all.
    As for Me Living in Aus has taught me wat bliss life is without "help".Is made me realize wat a handicap help really is.Like u said..u just need a call that the help's not coming and ur lifes upside down.Yes its a challenge..But then wat in life Isnt. I am not asking u to be a hero and do it all..All i am saying is ...We can learn to do without them.

    WEll...all the best for the Hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heheeh am in the middle of the same situation right now. But then I agree with Mala... we need not try to be super moms and do it all. And yes being dependent on help can be nightmare... unfortunately for people like me who work from home its a much needed blessing

    ReplyDelete